What is Cultural & Linguistic Competency?
- Cultural Competence is a set of congruent behaviors, attitudes, knowledge, responsiveness, wiliness, skills and policies that come together in a system, agency or among professionals that enables effective work in multicultural and cross-cultural contexts.
- The word culture refers to integrated patterns of human behaviors that include the language, strengths, thoughts, world perceptions, communications patterns, literacy, actions, sexual orientation, gender identity, customs, rituals, traditions, norms, rituals, beliefs,values and institutions of racial, ethnic, religious, generational, intergenerational differences or groups.
- The word competence implies having the capacity to function effectively as an individual and an organization within the context of the cultural beliefs, behaviors, strengths and needs presented by consumers and their communities.
- Cultural Competent Care: organizations should ensure that participants receive from all members of staff effective, understandable, and respectful care that is provided in a manner compatible with the cultural health beliefs and practice and preferred language. Participants should be educated and advocated for.
What are CLAS Standards?
The enhanced National Standards for Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) in Health and Health Care, known as the enhanced National CLAS Standards, from the Office of Minority Health at the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services are intended to advance health equity, improve quality, and help eliminate health care disparities by providing a blueprint for individuals and health and health care organizations to implement culturally and linguistically appropriate services.
The CLAS Standards are utilized as the benchmark for evaluation because they are aligned with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Action Plan to Reduce Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities (HHS, 2010), and the National Stakeholder Strategy for Achieving Health Equity (National Partnership for Action to End Health Disparities, 2011). Both documents provide clear plans and strategies to guide efforts to improve cultural and linguistic competence and promote health equity. As part of the system of care initiative, OCP2 works with providers, youth and families, as well as other system partners to increase the cultural responsiveness of services and supports delivered to children, youth and families, and a sensitivity and appreciation for diversity and cultural issues throughout the system of care.
The CLAS Standards were used as benchmarks to create a CLC Assessment Tool . This tool can serve as a guide for agencies to improve their CLC plans and better serve their target populations. Broward Behavioral Health Coalition (BBHC) requires all its network providers to comply with the CLAS Standards.
Special Youth & Family Led Projects
To address behavioral health disparities, youth and families from Broward County, Florida scripted and acted in video skits based on real-life experiences that highlight incidences where the National Culturally and Linguistically Appropriate Services (CLAS) Standards were not applied. These videos serve to both empower youth and family to advocate for equitable treatment when receiving services and educate our system of care for improvements in cultural competency.
To access other related resources on Cultural and Linguistic Competency, visit our YouTube Channel.
- One Community Partnership 2 @ Broward Behavioral Health Coalition
- 1715 SE 4th Ave.,
- Fort Lauderdale ,FL 33316
- United States
- Contact Info:
- Phone: 954.622.8121
- E: OCP2@bbhcflorida.org
- Congratulations to OCP2’s 2017 Wellness ChampionsMay 16, 2017 - 3:44 pm
- OCP2 2nd Annual Wellness Day event featured on FOX News – Channel 7May 16, 2017 - 1:33 pm
- BROWARD COUNTY COMMISSION PRESENTED PROCLAMATION DECLARING MAY 2017 CHILDREN’S MENTAL HEALTH AWARENESS MONTH IN BROWARD COUNTYMay 11, 2017 - 8:51 pm
- Nominate a Wellness Champion!March 27, 2017 - 11:22 am
- About OCP2
- Provider Login
- TIP Providers
- Local Resources